Our Winter Flash Fiction contest is now open!
Welcome to Page Turner Magazine’s Winter Flash Fiction Contest! Love is in the air, and it’s our great pleasure to introduce you to our Romance contest. This season’s prompt is “Cold Nights, Warm Hearts.” We long for genre fiction straight from the soul.
For this contest, we want to know what love looks like in the wintertime. When lips touch rosy red cheeks and hands meet in the pocket of knit sweaters. When heated confessions chase away frigid winds. When the golden afternoons of autumn give way to the early, dark nights of winter. When everything looks different under a fresh blanket of stark, shimmering snow.
It’s about the Romance. The love letters, secret admirers, candlelit dinners, and thorny red roses of it all. It can be a romance that reminds us of the love stories we all know, challenges our romantic ideas, or shows us how multifaceted love can be.
Winter Prompt: Cold Nights, Warm Hearts 😍 💌 ❄️
WHAT IS FLASH FICTION?
Flash fiction condenses longer forms of fiction, such as novels and novellas, into a concise but impactful space without losing the beginning-middle-end structure. But to put it simply, we want flash fiction with a premise that hooks us, prose that inspires us, and an ending that punches us in the face.
- Contest is open to all entrants who wish to apply, including Emerson students and alumni, as well as members of the general public.
- Submissions should run no more than 500 words in length.
- One submission per entrant, please.
- We’d love to see original work, so please submit only new material that is previously unpublished. If your work is selected, PTM retains all first publication rights, after which all rights revert to the author in perpetuity.
- Stories that include public figures, such as celebrities, who play an active role will be disqualified.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but you must notify us immediately if your work is accepted at another publication.
- We like to keep a level table at PTM with a blind reading process. In order to avoid conflict of interest, please do not include any personal information on or in your manuscript.
- Submissions will be active from November 1st to November 30th 11:59pm EST, after which a winner will be chosen.
- No reading/contest fees are required. We do it for the swoons, unexpected connections, and heartfelt declarations.
- We reserve the right to reject entries that promote or support racism, transphobia, homophobia, sexism, prejudice, classism, xenophobia, ableism, body-shaming, gratuitous sex/violence, and any other material that the submissions board deems inappropriate for publication.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email your submissions as a .doc file to email@example.com.
- Email Subject: Flash Fiction Winter – Piece Title
- Reminder: Do not include your name in the file name or in the piece title.
- Please include the following in the body of your email:
- Artist’s full name and/or pseudonym
- Short query: Describe your story in one to two sentences, including genre.
- A brief biography written in the third person, 100 words or fewer. Include any major publications or awards.
- Contact information
- How did you hear about us?
- First Place: Winner shall have their work published in the Page Turner Magazine print edition and will be featured on both PageTurnerMag.com and our social media streams.
- Runner-up: Recipient will have their work featured on PageTurnerMag.com as well as on our social media streams.
- Honorable Mention(s): Recipient(s) who do not place, but whose submission represents a significant contribution to the field of genre fiction will have their work highlighted on Page Turner Magazine’s social media stream.