Our Winter Flash Fiction contest is now open!
Head on over to this link for more information!
WHAT IS FLASH FICTION?
Flash fiction condenses longer forms of fiction, such as novels and novellas, into a concise but impactful space without losing the beginning-middle-end structure. But to put it simply, we want flash fiction with a premise that hooks us, prose that inspires us, and an ending that punches us in the face.
- Contest is open to all entrants who wish to apply, including Emerson students and alumni, as well as members of the general public.
- Submissions should run no more than 500 words in length.
- One submission per entrant, please.
- We’d love to see original work, so please submit only new material that is previously unpublished. If your work is selected, PTM retains all first publication rights, after which all rights revert to the author in perpetuity.
- Stories that include public figures, such as celebrities, who play an active role will be disqualified.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but you must notify us immediately if your work is accepted at another publication.
- We like to keep a level table at PTM with a blind reading process. In order to avoid conflict of interest, please do not include any personal information on or in your manuscript.
- Submissions will be active from November 1st to December 1st 11:59pm EST, after which a winner will be chosen.
- No reading/contest fees are required. We do it for the swoons, unexpected connections, and heartfelt declarations.
- We reserve the right to reject entries that promote or support racism, transphobia, homophobia, sexism, prejudice, classism, xenophobia, ableism, body-shaming, gratuitous sex/violence, and any other material that the submissions board deems inappropriate for publication.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Email your submissions as a .doc file to email@example.com.
- Email Subject: Flash Fiction Spring – Piece Title
- Reminder: Do not include your name in the file name or in the piece title.
- Please include the following in the body of your email:
- Artist’s full name and/or pseudonym
- Short query: Describe your story in one to two sentences, including genre.
- A brief biography written in the third person, 100 words or fewer. Include any major publications or awards.
- Contact information
- How did you hear about us?
- First Place: Winner shall have their work published in the Page Turner Magazine print edition and will be featured on both PageTurnerMag.com and our social media streams.
- Runner-up: Recipient will have their work featured on PageTurnerMag.com as well as on our social media streams.
- Honorable Mention(s): Recipient(s) who do not place, but whose submission represents a significant contribution to the field of genre fiction will have their work highlighted on Page Turner Magazine’s social media stream.
Spring 2022: The Missing
Winning Entry: Mystery Man by Mary Krakow
Runner-Up: Evidence Bag n. AV32948 by Slawka G Scarso
Winter 2022: Cold Nights, Warm Hearts
Winning Entry: Shapes of Warmth by TJ O’Shea
Runner-Up: First Frost by Abby Crofton
Fall 2021: Monsters
Winning Entry: Face Thieves by Tim O’Neal
Runner-Up: The Girl in the Tower by Brittani Jenee’ Cal
Spring 2021: Love In Paris
Winning Entry: My Dearest Lydia by Mackenzie Hicks
Runner-Up: Spring Forever by Erudessa Gentian
Winter 2021: Dragon Fire
Winning Entry: The Dragon of Ják by Anna O’Connell
Runner-Up: Salmren’s Triumph by Will Nuessle